Nikon has just released ViewNX, an easy-to-use, yet powerful image browser that integrates with Capture NX and Nikon Transfer. ViewNX replaces the aging Nikon View software. ViewNX is free and can be downloaded from Nikon’s site: Mac | PC.
Nikon has also released a standalone version of Nikon Transfer, which is required for transferring images from Nikon cameras into ViewNX. Nikon Transfer can be downloaded here: Mac | PC
What is View NX?
View NX is a powerful new software application for viewing NEF RAW and JPEG images.
- ViewNX offers the following 3 modes for viewing images:
- “Thumbnail Grid ” mode for viewing image thumbnails
- “Image Viewer ” mode displays a selected image at a large size
- “Full Screen ” mode displays an image full screen
- RAW+JPEG format images recorded simultaneously can be viewed separately, or treated as a single image for simpler management.
- Exposure Compensation, White-balance adjustment, and other adjustments can be performed on multiple images at one time, using “Picture Controls”, within the supplied “Picture Control Utility”.
- Labels and Ratings can be applied to individual images for simpler classification, management, and display.
- 10 labels are available for image classification. Labels can specify images displayed, images sent as e-mail attachments or printed, or images copied to another folder.
- Images may be rated up to 5 stars to indicate importance or priority. Images within a specified span can be displayed, and also Labels and Ratings recorded use industry standard formats so that they are preserved and recognized in other applications using the same standard.
- Focus area, histogram, highlights, and shadows displays are available.
- A convenient quick zoom feature is available for verifying focus.
- Enter information such as Creator, Origin, Image Title, and Keywords in XMP/IPTC Information for managing images.
- Copies of images are easily created for attachment to e-mail messages.
- Resized copies of images can be saved, and images can be converted and saved in TIFF or JPEG format.
- A third-party software application can be registered for smooth integration with a favorite imaging application.
- ViewNX and Nikon Transfer offer smooth collaboration. Use of these two applications together is convenient and recommended.